Product import is the fastest way to upload or edit your catalog. Product import is based on CSV (comma separated values) files, which can be edited as spreadsheets.
Importing Online Store data is helpful if:
- You are migrating from another shopping cart and need to transfer all of your products quickly.
- You have a file with products from your supplier or partner and want to show these products in your store
- You want to update products (e.g., prices, tags, or stock) in bulk.
A CSV file contains plain text entries separated by delimiters. Each entry represents a cell in a spreadsheet, each line represents a new row, and each delimiter (comma, semicolon, or tabulation) indicates where one entry ends and another entry begins.
Note: the delimiter should be the same throughout the file
You can view and edit CSV files in plain text editors (e.g., Notepad for Windows, Sublime Text, TextEdit for Mac) or in spreadsheet editors (e.g., OpenOffice, LibreOffice, Google Sheets). Spreadsheet editors are usually more convenient.
Each line in a product import file represents a list of attributes (name, SKU, description, price, etc) associated with a certain product in your store. You can view the format of the CSV file here.
The first line in the file may represent catalog column headers. If you want to delete them, check the Skip first line option in your import settings so this line is excluded from the product attributes. To do this:
- Go to Catalog > Products and click Import Products.
- Find the Skip First Line option:
Delimiters indicate where one product attribute ends and another one begins. Online Store supports three delimiters in CSV files: commas, semicolons, and a tabulation.
Tip: When you import your CSV file, please make sure that the delimiter in the file and in the import settings is the same.
Online Store supports more than ten charsets, including UTF-8, UTF-16, and US-ASCII. When you import your CSV file, please select the same encoding used in your CSV file for proper import.
If you don’t know how your CSV file is encoded, try UTF-8. It’s the most universal charset.
Online Store requires CSV imports to:
- use a dot (a full stop) to separate the decimals (e.g., 3.5 or 10.99)
- not use a separator for large numbers (e.g., 1350, not 1,350)
To see the import settings in your Online Store go to Catalog > Products and click Import Products.
Note: Product import in Online Store recognizes 25 product attributes. This means your CSV may contain up to 25 columns. View this article for a description of each attribute.
Here’s how to proceed with product import:
- Click Import Products.
- In the dialog window, click Choose file and select the CSV file from your computer.
- Select the delimiter used in your file (comma, semicolon or tabulation).
- Select the character encoding used in your file.
- Choose columns according to the structure of your import spreadsheet. Drag and drop columns to precisely match the column order in your file. Uncheck the columns that are not used in your original import file. Use the Skip column option to exclude up to three columns.
- If you would like to import all products and replace existing products and categories (for example, if you are changing your catalog completely) check the option Delete all products and categories before Import. *Warning: This will delete all the products that are in your store.* (evtl. Bild einfügen)
- Click Import.
Download a sample CSV file to use as a template for creating your own CSV files. It includes an example of a product with comma-separated values.
(evtl. Sample anhängen)
Customizing product category page
You can easily manage the way your product category pages look like by using one of several pre-designed presets in Configuration > Design section. Here’s what you can change:
You have several options on how to show products on the category pages. Large images help represent products in detail. Small images let you display more products in the Product List.
- Large images are best for products where every detail is a part of the product’s value.
- Medium: A well-balanced option that works with the majority of products.
- Small: Compact images reveal less detail, but allow you to fit in more products for your customers to see on the screen.
You can also choose the image aspect ratio for your Product List.
- Landscape orientation is best for products with horizontal images.
- Portrait orientation is more suitable for vertical images.
- Square is for images of equal proportions, which is ideal for small merchandise.
You can darken image backgrounds to help them stand out better in the Product List. To do this, choose Enable in the drop-down menu.
You can choose which product details to display on the Product List and how they are positioned in the Product Card of your Online Store. You have four options:
- Center content: both product name and price are centered.
- Align content to the left: product name and price are left-aligned.
- Align content to the right: name and price are right-aligned.
- Justify content: product name is left-aligned and the price is right-aligned.
Tip: you can achieve a lot more combinations of image sizes and aspect ratios, for example, choosing Small and Square image settings.
You can customize where you want to locate the category name or to hide it completely.
- Display category name on the image. This works best if you have professional-quality category images that follow the same style.
- Display category name below the image. This works best if all of your category images are styled differently or if you use graphical to represent categories.
- Display category name on mouse hover. Use this option if your images clearly describe your categories and don’t need a text caption.
- Hide category names. Choose this option if category names are already embedded in category images.
You can choose which product card details to show on the page. Here’s what you can customize:
– Product Card frame: choose Enable to show a shadowed border around Product Cards.
You can opt to show or hide the product name from the card:
– Choose Show to enable a product name under the photo
– Choose Do Not Show to hide the product name.
– Choose Show on mouse over to show the product name and price on hover.
Similarly, you can choose options to Show, Do not show, or Show on mouse over for the product price, SKU, and Buy It Now button. For example, you can enable all of these options to create fully shoppable product cards in the category’s Product List:
You can show an additional product image to your customers when they hover over a Product Card. When you choose Show, customers will see the first image from your product’s Gallery.
Tip: To provide an unobstructed view of the image, disable displaying of the second image on mouse hover.
Customizing the product page
You can easily customize the look and feel of your product pages using preset page design options. To access them, navigate to Configuration > Design and scroll down to the layout section you want to customize. Here’s what you can change:
You have three options on how to display product information on the product page.
- Two columns with the product description on the right. This is the best layout for products with high-quality images and a brief description.
- Two columns with the product description below the image. This is a classic layout for products with detailed descriptions.
- Two columns with the product description on the left. This mirrored layout works best for products and services that are better described by words rather than a graphical image.
- Three columns: this content-rich layout helps fit in a lot of product information on a single screen so customers don’t need to scroll. This layout looks best on a wide screen.
You can choose the items displayed in the product details section such as product name, SKU, the number of products left in stock, breadcrumbs, price, product options, wholesale prices, and social sharing buttons.
Drag and drop the items to re-arrange the order of their appearance in the sidebar.
Note: you cannot remove the Add to bag button.
Customize Image Gallery thumbnails
You can choose one of the three layouts for thumbnails of images uploaded into the products’ Image Gallery.
- Horizontal: use this layout to display thumbnails horizontally below the main product image.
- Vertical: choose this layout to showcase the thumbnails vertically beside the main image.
- Full size: choose this option to display full-size images below the main image instead of thumbnails.
Optimizing & customizing product images
Optimizing your product images for size, proportion, sharpness, and format will help you better present your goods. Product image is the first thing the potential buyer notices about the product. There is a saying “A picture is worth a thousand words”. Optimizing your product images will drive customer engagement on your site and increase its conversion rate.
All images have two properties: pixels (px) which refers to the screen space images take, and a number of kilobytes (kB) which refers to the storage volume images occupy on a server.
The size of product images on the catalog pages can be selected in your Configuration > Design menu.
While Online Store supports images of any size and optimizes them to fit into your customer’s screen, large images can slow down your website. Downloading large image files, especially to mobile devices, can be quite a challenge for users. Compress your images to eliminate that problem and speed up your page load time. You’ll find an array of image editing tools online such as TinyJPG and JPEGmini.
After reducing an image, you probably noticed a loss of sharpness. Most modern photo editors provide a “Save for web” option with a reduction algorithm that directly affects the sharpness. In Photoshop, we recommend that you use the image size under 1000 px and quality Bicubic Sharper.
The graphic design recognizes a limited set of standard proportions (1:1, 4:3, 3:2, 3:4 and 2:3) which are scientifically proven to be most pleasant for the human eye. Choosing one ratio for all images will give your store a structured and professional look. You can adjust the ratio for your images in the Image Aspect Ratio section in your Configuration > Design menu.
Aside from the image size and ratio, an image file’s format will affect the performance of your website on desktop computers and mobile devices. The three most common types of image files are JPG, GIF, and PNG.
- JPG is the standard format for Internet images as it can compress without compromising a picture’s quality.
- GIF images are smaller than their JPG counterparts and are commonly used as animation and small vector graphic files.
- PNG is the largest type of image file which makes it ideal for large colorful images.
Select an appropriate format to give your images the highest quality even with the smallest size.
Images from multiple angles of the products give your visitor the feeling of actually holding the product. The “touch-and-feel” aspect of shopping is important. Taking close-ups breaks the invisible barrier between your product and customers. A close-up allows them to scrutinize your product down to its tiniest detail. We recommend shooting your product from as many angles as you can to give customers a three-dimensional view of what you’re selling. That way, they can experience the item as if they’ve walked into your shop and touched it.
Higher quality images will give you a competitive edge. Don’t miss out the chance to increase conversions with better-quality images.
When running an online business, the way you showcase your products is very important. Keep in mind that your guests and potential customers cannot physically view the product.
Tip: If your product is available in retail stores offline then you’re going to need to step up the photography so that potential customers don’t head to the shops to find the same item in a tangible format, and possibly purchase it there.
You can customize the look and feel of your product images with the help of several preset Design options. To access them, go to Configuration > Design.
There are three preset sizes for product images in your Online Store:
- Large images are great for products where every detail is important.
- Medium images offer a well-balanced option and are suitable for most products.
- Small images allow you to fit more products per page.
You can preview how each image size would look on your store page.
Online Store offers several options for your product images aspect ratio:
- Landscape orientation is best for horizontal images. You have two choices of proportion for this option.
- Portrait orientation is best for vertical images. You have two choices of image proportion for this option.
- Square images with equal proportions are great for smaller merchandise.
You can enable the option to slightly darken the image backgrounds. This makes images look more prominent on the page. The option can be enabled for all products in the catalog.
Here’s how your images would be displayed when darkening has been disabled.
Managing Favorites list
The Favorites list functionality (also known as Wishlist) allows your customers to create a list of products they want to save and purchase during their next visit.
Customers are more likely to return to your site if they made an effort and created a list of items for purchase for later. This feature increases return customers and also helps reduce the shopping cart abandonment rate.
Favorites list encourages your customers to visit your Online Store more often and as a result purchase more items and increase your bottom line.
To add a product to their Favorites list, your customers click the heart icon near the product image, and the item will be saved in your Favorites list.
Your customers can view all favorite items saved in a list by clicking the Favorites link in their profile menu. The list is attached to their accounts in your store so they can access it from any devices: mobile, tablet or desktop.
Tip: your customers can add items to their Favorites list while browsing your store on a mobile device on the go and then proceed with the purchase at their desktop computer at home.
This feature is automatically enabled for your Online Store. If you want to disable Favorites, you can do it in your Cart & Checkout settings. Here’s how to do it:
- Go to Settings > Cart & Checkout.
- Scroll down to Favorites section.
- Click the toggle to turn Favorites off.
- Click the Save button or Ctrl-S to save the changes.